Wilcox Museum was dedicated on June 5, 1888, as the Classical Museum of the University of Kansas Department of Ancient Languages and Literatures. Professor Alexander Martin Wilcox (1865-1915), the museum’s founder, wanted to put Kansans in touch with ancient Greek and Roman arts. The first of its kind in the area, the Museum predates even the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, which wasn’t dedicated until 1933.
Today, the Museum is operated by KU’s Department of Classics, and houses plaster casts of Greek and Roman sculptures and Greek and Roman antiquities.
The present exhibit is located in Lippincott Hall 103, in the Mary Amelia Grant Gallery, named for an Associate Professor of Classics and longtime curator and benefactress of the collection.
To protect the Museum's coveted space, the Department of Classics has begun remodeling it to function more as a classroom — just as it did in the beginning.
Wilcox Museum is open M-F, 9am - 4pm during the Fall and Spring semesters. It is closed during the summer, KU holidays and federal holidays.