Dancing Satyr or Faun
Modern plaster replica of Roman bronze original from the House of the Faun at Pompeii, dating ca. 150 BCE. According to the small metal oval in the underside of the base, the cast was purchased from the Caproni Bros. cast company of Boston probably in 1885.
The torsional pose of the piece associates it with late 4th and early 3rd centuries BCE works from the school of the Greek sculptor Lysippos, who introduced a new three-dimensionality and movement into his work in contrast to the static calm of sculpture of the 5th century. The original is in the National Archaeological Museum in Naples.